Call us 0203 637 0816 Monday - Friday: 9:00- 18:00 Sat 10:00 - 2:00

Water Damage

Have you water or liquid damaged your mobile phone? Has it been dropped down the toilet or maybe in the washing machine? We offer a repair service that can bring your broken phone back to life again 99% of the time. Please don’t delay in getting the handset into us and if you can remove the battery please do and don’t power on the handset as this will cause more damage to the electronics.

 

What should I do if my phone has suffered liquid damage?

One of the worst things you can do is attempt to repair the phone yourself – it is very important that your phone is seen by a technician. Your phone is a delicate piece of electronics and has many delicate parts inside. Trying to repair the damage yourself without specialist tools and knowledge of the different components, you may end up causing irreparable damage.

Don’t panic!

Here are some “Do’s & Don’ts” you should bear in mind before you bring the phone into us that should increase the chances of it being brought back to working condition.

Do…

1. The first thing (and probably most obvious!) is to retrieve your handset from the liquid straight away. A prolonged plunge will increase the risk of damage.

2. Remove the battery if your device has a battery you can remove if not turn the device off.

3. Dry off the exterior with a towel, being careful not to let any water drain into openings on the phone.

4. Resist the urge to check if it still works or press any buttons, since putting pressure on the keys could shift liquid further into the device.

5. Bring the phone in to us – even when everything’s dry, it’s very likely there’s latent moisture around the components of the phone. It is important that you bring the phone in to be treated for water damage – the metal within your phone coming into contact with water and oxygen may create rust that will corrode over time.

Don’t…

1. Do not plug your phone in. The surge of power could break your phone for good – it doesn’t take a genius to realise that it’s not a good idea to run electricity through a wet circuit board!

2. Do not use a hairdryer (or any other method of applying heat, including the microwave!) to dry out your device- it risks becoming too hot and causing damage to the components. Where phones have been completely submerged and components have been severely waterlogged, this method can create steam in other parts of the phone which will condense and worsen the problem.

3. Do not stick your phone in the freezer. It is a common misconception that the freezing temperatures will prevent your phone from short circuiting. In actual fact, when the ice starts to thaw, you’re left with exactly the same problem (if not worse!), and that’s if it hasn’t caused your screen to crack!

4. And finally….don’t despair – we manage to save on average 9 out of 10 phones so the odds are in your favour!